Tuesday, September 4, 2007

My impression on Emerging Technology

As stated before by many of my classmates, Emerging Technology is something new and interesting, something that makes you say that's cool. I also think it is something that is interesting, maybe useful but is still in the developing/testing stage.

I could not find a specific definition for the phrase but decided to break it down;

1.) Emerging had many definitions but the one I chose that best describes what I am looking for is: coming into existence, evolution (dictionary.com)
2. )Technology also had lots of definitions but I chose to go with this one: the branch of knowledge that deals with the creation and use of technical means and their interrelation with life, society, and the environment, drawing upon such subjects as industrial arts, engineering, applied science, and pure science. (dictionary.com)

To simplify: emergent technology is the coming to existence or evolution of technical means and their interrelation with life, society, and the environment.

Here is an article which talks about how emerging technology can reshape learning in a face-to-face or online classroom....(enjoy)
link: http://www.virtual.gmu.edu/pdf/AJDE.PDF

1 comment:

Dr. Z said...

Logical process for defining emerging technologies. Thanks for the link to the article. I couldn't get it to open, but I would have enjoyed hearing your opinion of what they said in the article.